Consume less and celebrate more for inner peace and ecological integrity.
Consumerism drives the pursuit of happiness in much of the world, yet as wealth grows unhappiness abounds, compounded by the grave problems of climate change, pollution, and ecological degradation. We've now reached both an environmental and spiritual dead-end that leaves us crying out for alternatives. Elegant Simplicity provides a coherent philosophy of life that weaves together simplicity of material life, thought, and spirit. In it, Satish Kumar, environmental thought leader and former monk, distills five decades of reflection and wisdom into a guide for everyone, covering:
- The ecological and spiritual principles of living simply
- Shedding both "stuff" and psychological baggage
- Opening your mind and heart to the deep value of relationships
- Embedding simplicity in all aspects of life including education and work
- Merging science and spirituality for a coherent world-view.
Elegant Simplicity is a life guide for everyone wanting off the relentless treadmill of competition and consumption and seeking a life that prioritizes the ecological integrity of the Earth, social equity, and personal tranquility and happiness.